Update 3: iPad 2,4 support has been added to Absinthe 2.0.4. All reference and links have been updated in this post.
Update 2: Absinthe 2.0.2 is out with support for iPhone 4 firmware 9B208. Download now.
Update 1: Chronic Dev Team has released Absinthe 2.0.1 with bug fixes, all the references and links have been updated in this post.
Here’s the long awaited news! Chronic Dev Team has released iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak with Absinthe 2.0.4 that works on almost all devices including:
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad 1
- iPad 2 (all versions are supported as of Absinthe 2.0.4)
- iPad 3
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPod Touch 4G
- Apple TV 2G
If you have any of the above devices, Absinthe 2.0.4 will enable you to run Cydia on the device while you have iOS 5.1.1 and you won’t need to connect your device to your computer every time you reboot it in order to maintain the jailbreak which happens in the case of tethered jailbreaks.
Jailbreaking frees your device up from the bonds Apple puts on it. You can customize the look and feel of the homescreen, install custom widgets, install apps which are not available in iTunes app store and almost anything you could imagine.
Download Absinthe 2.0.4 for Mac
Download Absinthe 2.0.4 for Windows
Download Absinthe 2.0.4 for Linux
- Absinthe 2.0.4 is NOT backwards compatible, it only supports iOS 5.1.1. If you want to jailbreak any older version of iOS, even it’s iOS 5.0.1, go here for quick help.
- If you are using a carrier unlocked iPhone which relies on a preserved baseband, you should follow our step by step guide to unlock it on iOS 5.1.1.
Like the previous version of Absinthe, the jailbreak is very quick and simple. Although the use of the tool is straight forward and self explanatory, we’d recommend you to follow the following steps so you don’t mess anything up.
1. Update your iDevice to iOS 5.1.1 before proceeding. You can download iOS 5.1.1 IPSW from our downloads section.
2. Download Absinthe 2.0.4 for your computer from the links provide above.
3. Download latest version of iTunes if you don’t have it already and install it.
4. Connect your iDevice with your computer and start iTunes. On the left side bar you should see your device listed. Right click on it make a backup.
Backup iPhone in iTunes before attempting a jailbreak
5. Once you are done with making the back up, quit iTunes.
6. Keep your device connected to your computer and run Absinthe 2.0.4.
7. Press the Jailbreak button on first screen and Absinthe 2.0.4 will complete the process. Don’t worry if you see weird codes running on your device’s screen, it’d also reboot automatically.
Absinthe 2.0: Press the jailbreak button after connecting your device with your computer
8. Once your device has booted, find the Cydia icon on the screen. Congratulations! Your device is now jailbroken.
9. Now that you have the untethered jailbreak, you’d want to restore from the backup so that your device comes back to the same position where it was previously. For this purpose, keep your device connected to your computer and run iTunes. Locate your device’s name in the left sidebar, right click to find ‘Restore from backup’.
Restore iPhone from backup
If you face any problems, discuss in the comments sections below and the community would try to help.
See also: What to do with a jailbroken iDevice
We send instant SMS alerts as soon as a new jailbreak is made available or Apple releases a firmware; just send F JailbreakStory from your cellphone to 40404 in the US or to your country's shortcode and you are subscribed. It's free forever. You can also customize your notifications in case you don't want to receive all of the stories.
Loved the read? Recommend us on Google . Thankyou!
Leave a Reply