Chronic Dev Team has released their latest jailbreak tool called “Absinthe” for iOS 5.0 and iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak on iPhone 4S and iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak on iPad 2. The tool is only released for Mac OS X right now but a Windows as well as a Linux version is promised to be released shortly.
As always, we strived for being the very first one to post the news of the A5 jailbreak and send out texts to our subscribed users but as soon as we clicked the ‘publish’ button on this post (6 minutes after Absinthe was released), the underground optical fiber outside our internet exchange got cut because of some incident. Engineers worked very hard to repair it but as it was a huge cable, it took several hours. We are now back up and have got our wireless devices ready as well, so you can be sure that we’ll be posting the Absinthe for Windows before the blink of your eye. Don’t forget to subscribe for free SMS updates if you are not already.
Right now Absinthe is available for Mac OS X only, we’ll post the download links and instructions as soon as a Windows and/or Linux version is made available.
Absinthe is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 4S on iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.0.1 only.
- iPad 2 on iOS 5.0.1 only.
Download Absinthe 1.2-2 for Mac OS X
In order to do the untethered jailbreak on your iPhone 4S or iPad 2, follow the following simple steps.
1. Start iTunes and make sure to make a backup of your iDevice because you may loose the camera roll during the jailbreak process. It’s a bug in Absinthe which might be removed in a future release.
2. a) If you have an iPad 2, upgrade it to iOS 5.0.1, otherwise the jailbreak would fail.
b) If you have an iPhone 4S, upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 is recommended but if you want to go for a carrier unlock at a later stage, keep on iOS 5.0 as being on the lowest possible version is the best policy when you are waiting for future hacks.
3. Connect your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to your Mac.
4. Download and install Absinthe for Mac from the link above, run it and press the jailbreak button. The rest of the jailbreak process would be completed by Absinthe and your device will be booted on completion.
5. Now that your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S is booted by Absinthe, look for the ‘Absinthe’ icon in the springboard and launch it. Your device will reboot with Cydia installed and Absinthe removed automatically.
Note: In case the Absinthe site is down, go to the settings on your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S and turn VPN on. It’s normal if you get an error message, wait a moment and your device will reboot in an untethered jailbreak mode.